Monday, August 10, 2015

Transfers - Staying in Montego Bay



I thought this was pretty funny. In newer prints of the Book of Mormon I don't think this is in there.





The Zone meeting Elder Jernigan and I taught. It was really just 4 hours of us proving how unqualified we are. But it was pretty fun. This is the zone






I always have effective studies in the morning, so I drew this.. I use this for teaching some times. But this is my Plan of Salvation diagram. People respond well to visuals.





We went to the beach in Negril for preparation day last week or something. That was pretty cool. Played some beach volleyball and ate some over priced tourist food. I've never been so tempted in my life, as I was sitting next to the ocean...




District Pic.




This is where I spend a good chunk of my life. I recently finished the Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants, New Testament, and Book of Mormon. I only read the Books of Moses this transfer. Numbers was a page turner.


Editor's note:  I asked if he wore contacts anymore because he's wearing his glasses in every picture. His reply was.... "I started wearing glasses because Elder Jernigan wore glasses and I wanted to achieve perfect companionship unity with him. So we wear glasses!"


I won't bother you with any more pictures.

But the week's been good. It was Jamaican Independence day or something, so that was kinda lame, because nobody wants to see us, so we did like, 10 hours of street contacting this week. 4 of which was just on Thursday. I think in normal missions that's probably pretty normal, or like, not very much. But out here, that's a ton! I've gone entire months without needing to street contact. So that was weird, but it's good. I enjoy it! Which is lucky for me. Not lucky for other people who see us coming. I've never felt like a menace to society as much as I do as a missionary. Just ruining people's day every day! Telling them weird stuff about God.

Transfer calls came. So I'm staying, I"ll probably be here for 3 more months. Elder Jernigan is going to Santa Cruz to be a Zone Leader which is funny because he wanted to go to Bahamas, ah well. We call it Sister Cruz zone, because it's like, 60% sisters, as opposed to every other zone which is like, 8%. He's excited though. I'll miss him, he's been a great companion, he's taught me a lot, he's a way better missionary than I am, so I'm hoping that it rubs off. My next companion is Elder Lafayette, a Jamaican, which is going to be great! I'm pretty excited. First full time Jamaican companion. Elder Bennett and Smith are staying here which is good. still 50% Canadian, as it should be. So this week is going to be pretty nuts with transfers and what not. Today we get to pack and prepare and clean and stuff, then Tomorrow we're leaving out at like 3 am so that we can pick up a bunch of Elders to take to Trainers Meeting at 10 AM in Spanish Town. I was asked to do a short demonstration because I'm obviously the best missionary on the island. So we'll see how that goes. Then Tuesday night we race home, then Wednesday morning we get to perform a logistic nightmare and pick up a few elders from various corners of the Jamaica Kingston universe and get to transfers in Spanish Town again. I'm not going to get to proselyte until Thursday afternoon probably, which is lame, but I've gotten used to it. The past couple weeks we've taught a lot, so that's been a blessing.

Elder Koegler is white wash training in Spanish Town I'm pretty sure which is awesome! And I think Elder Palmer is white wash training in Old Harbour which is also great because that means I now have a grandson! White wash just means both Elders are brand new there, fyi.

But yeah, slow week. Just lots of walking around and talking to strangers. The mission is a pretty bizarre experience. The hardest part, and probably the most fulfilling part, is simply staying motivated. I've never been one to enjoy doing the same thing over and over again. So it's nothing short of a miracle that I'm sane, and I've been doing the same thing every day for the past 13 months. It's also crazy to think I've been out for 13 months. Goes faster and faster. I've decided I'm going to write a book after the mission called, "How to Have a Happy Mission" and I'm going to become incredibly wealthy and respectable because of it so I don't have to go to school! Or something... But that's been my goal, to have a happy mission. It's been interesting, because no one taught me how to have a happy mission, I've been figuring it out on my own, and it's been a long and uncomfortable process, but I think I've finally got it down. I think I understand how to have a happy mission! So I'm excited to look back after 24 months and see if it worked. When missionaries go home, they usually spend the last 2 weeks in a frenzy trying to do as much work as possible, and then they kinda mope around for the last 24 hours. Seems terrible. I just want to be able to say at the end that I'm content with the work I've done. And I'm on the right track. I'm finally at a place where I feel good about the knowledge I have and the way I apply it, I've gotten some good formulas down. It's great. I love it. But I'm exhausted all the time. I look forward to hibernating when it's all over.

Nothing else super exciting this week, hope all's good at home!


Love,
Elder Zeck

No comments:

Post a Comment