Monday, July 20, 2015

Teaching this Week

Hey!

Week was good, went by pretty quick actually which was nice. Probably the most proselyting I've done in forever. We taught 19 lessons I think, we got 2 people on date for baptism, and we had 2 people at church! It's funny how when we get time to do missionary work, missionary work gets done! Who would've thunk?

But yeah, it's all pretty good. Did a lot of teaching, working with members, finding new people. We're just trying to get this area up and going, when I got here the area pretty much had nothing going for it, so it's been fun building from scratch. I like it anyway. Now the area is looking really good! although it still has a long way to go. We're working with a lot of really great people, and we're helping people make a lot of great changes. An average week for us is pretty 50/50 when it comes to time spent doing missionary work in our area, and then time spent in other missionary's areas. We have to drive around to district meetings and make sure every one's okay. We helped the Elders in Sav get some water storage this week. It's useful things, I never feel not busy, it's just not teaching. But it's other pretty important responsibilities, so it's never a waste of time or anything.

We had a pretty funny experience, I thought anyway, with this guy. He's been Pentecostal most his life, but he hasn't been to church in a while, and we sat down and talked with him, he wasn't really paying attention. We were explaining to him about the Book of Mormon and what it was for and stuff, and we asked why there were so many churches, and how when Christ was on the Earth there was only one, and how we're supposed to find that church again. Well, it wasn't really going anywhere, until we told him that the Book of Mormon is the proof that our church is the only completely true church on the Earth. We never got to teach him about it, but man, the look on his face when I said that was priceless. His eyes got kinda big and he looked at me as if I were crazy! He couldn't believe what I had just said, but not in a bad way. He just had no idea that a "true church" could even exist. Most people out here believe that all churches are good, or there's this weird tradition where they say that God will take the church out of the churches, so basically like, if you live good, then eventually we'll all be okay anyway. It's pretty tough trying to convince people that that's not true!

Another funny experience was with this other guy, before we even said hello we could tell he did not like us, as most people do. I don't know why people hate us so much. That's a lie, I'd hate us too if I wasn't one of us. But we whipped out the Book of Mormon and talked about it and he said he read the Bible. We said, so do we! He was surprised by that. But we told them about how they go together, and how the Book of Mormon is more scripture, and he just wasn't having it. It's funny, you get a lot of people like this where they don't want anything to do with us, but they will argue until the sun goes down, because they want to prove a point. I hate Bible Bashing, mostly because we always win and it makes people more upset with us. Because we're always right. Proud to say I've never lost. But man this guy was pulling out scriptures, and just butchering everything, and we couldn't even get a word in. I was gonna say something kind of rude and void of tact, luckily Elder Jernigan is a better man than I. He handled the situation pretty well and actually got us a return appointment. I had to count backwards from 100 so I didn't do much. But we got through it. The guy said something about only believing specific parts of the Bible. I don't understand, but I also lack basic empathy skills, so we'll see.

Anyway, the week was good. We've had some great lessons. People are moving towards baptism, which is great. It's about time! We have Zone Meeting coming up soon so we're preparing for that. That will be good. But yeah, things are great. Tell Jared I said happy birthday! I got a bunch of souvenirs for everyone, but I don't really want to mail it, because that's a lot of work. So... Either I'll change my mind some day, or you'll all just get presents and stuff when I get home. There's some pretty great craft markets on this side of the island. But cool, hope things are good back home! Don't be afraid to send ties and cheap Walmart watches and more beef jerky.


Love,
Elder Zeck

No comments:

Post a Comment