Monday, June 1, 2015

Zone Leader and Driving.....on the other side of the road

Elder Palmer (son/grandson), Elder Zeck (son/father), Elder Hunt (father/grandfather/mother)
It's a missionary thing.
If you get a call from a Utah number, just answer it.

Hey, week was good. Learned a lot of stuff about the stuff I've been doing for like, a year now. I'm almost at 11 months. That's weird. Half way through! Unless I request an extension, but I haven't really thought about that yet.

So yeah, I'll confess, I'm a Zone Leader and I drive a truck most of the time. Sometimes we will do trade offs so I'll need my bicycle, but the truck is nice. A/C. seats. I have to watch what I eat, my metabolism is still used to being on a bike 24/7 so if I eat too much my body will freak out and just blow up. But it's pretty awesome. It's easier to proselyte in the rain which is great, on a bike it feels impossible. But we can still drive places, stay dry, and then street contact nobody because it's raining. I'm also really glad we drive because the hills here are ridiculous.

So zone meeting was this week. Considering we only had 6 days to prepare it, I thought it was really good. One of the best I've ever been to anyway. We made a goal of getting participation out of everybody in attendance, all the missionaries, and we succeeded! We got everyone to do something, and I felt it really enhanced the meeting. A senior couple spoke at the beginning on the Book of Mormon, then we got the 3 trainees in the zone to give talks on success, and the enabling power of the atonement, and Christ, then Elder Jernigan and I taught for 2 hours on how to use time effectively in missionary work, because it's easy to waste time and trick ourselves into thinking we're using time wisely, when we aren't. We taught about the importance of teaching our purpose constantly, and how to properly drop investigators for not doing what they tell us they will, and then most importantly, why finding is one of the most important missionary activities that pretty much no one does enough of or views properly. But people came up and said they loved it after, so I'm confident our message was taught. I learned a lot. We've been finding like crazy. But yeah, zone meeting was fun, I'm a big fan of teaching people about stuff I know, and I know missionary work shouldn't be depressing and disappointing, and when we teach flakes, then we'll have a sad mission. Elder Jernigan and I have a goal that we will both have happy missions. Which means teaching cool people, finding cool people, and then baptizing lots. But we'll see. It's all fun

Our zone is huge, pretty much half the island. We have Negril, Montego Bay, Savanna La Mar, Ocho Rios, and Port Antonio. I've only been to Negril, Sav, and MoBay so far, but we're going to Ochi tomorrow and Wednesday for a trade off, and then we have a big meet on Thursday, so that'll be cool. Lots of driving though, which means less teaching, which is too bad.

So we've done a lot of finding recently. Learned a lot about finding by our faith. Trying to put our trust in the Lord as we go out and look for people seeking for truth, and we've found some! One night in particular, we ended up street contacting at 8PM which is usually just a hopeless battle. But we contacted a bunch of people, no success, walked around. And I made the comment, "I haven't felt impressed to talk to anybody all night" Which was my way of wondering if we were even doing the right thing at that time. I just didn't feel like I was being directed at all that evening. Elder Jernigan voiced the same concern. Not even a minute later, without even thinking, turned and got a good feeling about talking to one more person, a lady sitting with her two kids. Immediately, she asked for a card, a Book of Mormon, and we got her number. Over the next 10 minutes we proceeded to contact and get return appointments with 3 other people. It was a humbling experience. I was thankful I was receptive to that very specific spiritual prompting, right before I was ready to give up. I wasn't in the best mood but I got over it. And there was the miracle! It was all kind of neat.

I gave a talk in church about the importance of Motherhood. So I basically just spent 5 minutes talking about how awesome you are and how much I appreciate you and blah blah blah. Testified of the importance of mothers. I have a bad habit of turning talks into stand up comedy routines, I should probably work on that. It's just my pride kicking in and me craving attention, but everyone laughed a lot and I got my point across so mission accomplished I suppose. It was only 5 minutes.

If you can find a copy of a talk by Elder Bednar called Characteristics of Christ, or something like that, and if you could email it to me, You'd be my favorite person in the world until further notice!

70% of the mission is going to be new missionaries in the next like, 3 months, so that's kinda crazy. Pres told me I'd probably train again which is really cool. I'm excited for that! but it looks like my job for the next little while as a zone leader is to prepare my zone to pretty much have everyone ready to train. I'm excited for that!

Did family history. That was fun

Made rice and peas and fried chicken for our house, I didn't ruin it! That lemon pepper is genius!

Talked to a lot of smokers and jokers this week, nothing too crazy. Just trying to keep the spirit and stuff.

Well, hope everything at home is still good! Sounds like things are good. Jordan was sick?

Mosquitoes are only bad at night when I sleep. So just the absolute most important part of my life.

Mobay is pretty nice, still some sketchy areas. We cover the most violent area in the city, but people respect us. I have street cred here already, so you don't have to worry about me mom.

Apartment is alright, hard to keep clean for some reason. Leaky shower so our room floods a lot but we deal with it. Tiny fridge. Big kitchen. I need a big kitchen when I grow up. The missionaries are cool. I serve around Sisters now too, which is freaky. I haven't served around sisters in 5 months. But there's Sisters Dill, Judd, and Mundle. Elder Peters who was my ZL in Spanish Town when I first got there. And he's training Elder Smith. They're both way awesome. and then us two. Then in our zone we get to serve a lot of people who I'm now going to list because I got like 4 emails and have nothing better to do. I'll probably read a bunch of talks or something because that's my life now. Elder Wilcox, Campbell, Layton, Brown (my comp 3 months ago), Williams (My ZL from Portmore), Pulsipher, Stever, Fowkes, Gardner, Galbraith, Muirhead, Evans. Sisters Peynado, Mashabela, Barlow. I think that's everyone. That's the North Coast zone.

Yeah I'm way busy, just lots of stuff to do. Being a zone leader is cool because I'm supposed to be an example to my zone. We taught about the need to find 21 potential investigators a week. And we found 22 this week. No big deal. So I think we're doing alright.

Tell Jackson I hope he feels better, or that I hope it gets worse and they amputate his arm.

Love,

Elder Zeck


No comments:

Post a Comment